Dell Venue Checkout
at Stony Point, Cedar Ridge, Westwood and Success High Schools
A paper copy of the below letter is provided to the student upon first request to checkout and must be returned prior to checkout of device for the first time each school year.
Parents and Students,
Round Rock ISD is pleased to provide a limited number of technology devices for students to check out for use at home on a temporary basis to support instructional activities. A student may visit the circulation desk of the campus library at Stony Point, Cedar Ridge, Westwood and Success High Schools and check out a single device for a time period determined by the school librarian and administration.
1. The device is to be used exclusively for working on school related activities and accessing district provided resources such as electronic textbooks, productivity tools and Google Apps for Education tools. The device is never to be used for accessing student personal accounts, social media accounts, non-educational websites, personal chats or photo sharing, unapproved gaming sites or any content that violates the Acceptable Use Policy.
2. Parents, it is your responsibility to supervise your children when using district provided technology at all times. Although internet content filters and other security layers are in place when students are on district property, devices that are checked out and taken home are not subject to the same security*, and therefore more at-risk of encountering inappropriate content. Sites that are blocked at school, such as SnapChat, Twitter and InstaGram are no longer blocked when the device leaves RRISD property. You are key to the support for promoting responsible and safe use by setting and communicating expectations, supervising activity and monitoring the safe handling and securing of district property while in the possession of students.
3. We encourage students to participate in this “lending” program as needed to support learning.
Parents and guardians have an active role in ensuring the continued availability of the devices in helping everyone make certain they are used appropriately and in good working condition every time.
Documentation on the condition of the device at check-out and again at check-in will help determine if any damages were done while in possession of the student.
4. The school reserves the right to restrict checkout, remove privileges and take appropriate necessary disciplinary action (at principal’s discretion) if a student is not upholding their responsibility or exhibits any misconduct with regards to use of the device or for any other reason the principal or designee determines.
* student use of Google Apps for Education resources is still supervised by ‘Gaggle’, a service that actively monitors all student email and Google documents for any dangerous or offensive language and reports it to district authorities.
5. Loss/Theft or Damage: If the property is lost, damaged or not returned, the student is responsible for the cost of the property on the date of loss. If the device is stolen while at home, the student should contact the police and bring a copy of the police report to the SRO within five school days of the occurrence. If stolen while at school, the student should contact the SRO as soon as possible. Any exceptions will be evaluated by the campus leadership on a case-by-case basis.
Dell Venue Atom Processor $609.00
Power Adapter $25.00
6. As the parent or guardian, you have the option to opt out of allowing your student(s) to check out these devices. Simply fill out the form at the bottom of this letter and have your student return it to the campus librarian. If at a later date you change your decision, contact the campus.
PARENT PERMISSION/OPT OUT PAGE
(Circle one) DO DO NOT permit my student(s), _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(CLEARLY PRINT all of your students or fill out a separate form if different for each of your students)
to participate in the device lending program at his/her high school.
____ (initial here) I understand that students can still use these devices while at school at the discretion of the school, but they will not be allowed to check them out.
Parent name 1 (print) ____________________________________________________
Parent name 2 (print) (optional) _____________________________________________
SIGN AND RETURN THIS PAGE